[OLUG] How do I get programs to run?

Chris Garrity m0ntar3 at home.com
Mon Feb 7 00:00:44 UTC 2000

	Did you untar and unzip the file after you downloaded it?  After
downloading,  you should see the file tik-0.75.tar.gz in the destination
directory.  This is a tar'ed/zip'ed file and you'll need to untar/unzip
it.  You can see this from the *.tar.gz extension (FYI: *.tgz is also a
tar/zip'ed file).  I usually run the command 'tar vxzf file.tar.gz',
which untars and unzips the file contents.  -v give verbose output on
exactly what's being done, -x says 'extract', -z says 'zipped', -f says
'file' ... i.e. "Verbosely Extract Zipped File foo.tar.gz".  Read the
manpages for explanation ad nausium (i.e. 'man tar')

	Most of these files have README's in the contents, which will give
directions on how to install the application.  Usually, all you have do
run the './configure' script, run 'make', and then as root run 'make
install'... Everything you need to know should be present in the
README's contained within the distribution.

_Chris