[olug] OT: PSA

Kevin sharpestmarble at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 01:50:23 UTC 2010

We are not necessarily a 2 party system; we are effectively, though.

Suppose there are 4 parties(A, B, C, & D), representing 32%, 29%, 21%, and
18%(I just pulled those numbers out of thin air) of the population at
election #1. Parties C & D are going to merge so they can get 39% of the
population and a majority. That merger will create a 5th party(E) and
abolish C & D. The proportions for parties A, B, & E are now at 32%, 29%,
and 39%. Then parties A & B will merge so they can get 61% of the vote and
between them, gain the majority back. Thus, you have 2 parties. I don't
remember enough of my college government class to see the way around it,
though(something about a winner-take-all system, though?).