[olug] ubuntu slowing down

Paul H. Lewis phldml3 at cox.net
Mon Oct 26 21:51:38 UTC 2009

I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 and have been for about six months or so.  As of
the last month or so I've been noticing that after surfing the web to
places like Facebook, Nick Jr, etc. the computer slows way down.  It's a
Dell Dimension 4400 with 512M of mem (so not a real fast computer to
start with), but it has been running better then it is now.  Dynatron
provided the flasswipe which I have been using to remove all the Flash
cookies and that helps somewhat.  The machine bogs down on the internet
mostly and has made surfing the web near impossible.  Any suggestions as
to what I need to clean up in order to get it processing faster again?

Paul