[olug] Postgresql Install

thehaas at binary.net thehaas at binary.net
Wed Nov 19 21:42:56 UTC 2003

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 04:18:53PM -0500, edcarlsen at cox.net wrote:
> I have a Mandrake 9.1 system and installed Postgresql for eventual interface to Apache2 through PHP.
> I am trying to build a database but I am confused. The instructions
> talk about a database cluster. I only know clusters as hardware
> clusters.  I have postmaster running and trying to create a database.
> Do I need to run the initdb command or the createdb command?  And, it
> wants me to set the PGDATA environment variable. Is this done in the
> /etc/profile?  Sorry for dumb questions, but I tried reading the docs.
> Thanks.

I've never ran Mandrake, but I do run PostgreSQL.  Let's see if I can
help.

Have you logged out since installing PGSQL?  The PGDATA was probably set
when you installed the rpm, but need to logout to get it.

Yes, you do need to run initdb -- as the user running "postmaster" --
which is probably postgres (look to make sure).  As root, do a
"su - postgres", and then run initdb.  Then you might as well try to
create a user.

Since you are using PGSQL and PHP, I'd highly recommend phpPgAdmin.
Okay, it's not as nice as it's MySQL counterpart, but still very useful:
	http://phppgadmin.sourceforge.net/

Let me know if you have more not-so-dumb questions.  Or even dumb ones.

--
Mike Hostetler
thehaas at binary.net
http://users.binary.net/thehaas