[olug] share a folder rw, but not deletable?

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Wed Mar 26 15:25:16 UTC 2003

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 07:23:34 -0600
Jay Hannah <jay at jays.net> wrote:

|Brian Wiese wrote:
|> Is there a way in UNIX to make a folder with read+write permissions for
|> some group of users, but only allow them to read and write to the
|> folder... not actually delete the folder itself?
|
|folder -> directory

Ok ok - my bad!  =) I understand, and a directory is a file too.  =) (Just
the second time I've been corrected on this post for that).

|A user can delete a directory only if they have write permissions to the
|directory above the directory in question.

Great, this... 'will work' and I can make it happen, thanks!  I'm really
starting to realize just how limited a filesystems is without mandatory
and discretionary access control lists.  It's just an odd thing to keep in
mind (of several I've discovered) difference between Unix and Windows NTFS
file systems... where you can give a user "delete" permissions.

Next Q: Anyone know of any good alternative unix filesystems (non ext2/3)
that have more access control built in?

peace

  Brian Wiese | bwiese at cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru