[olug] Problems booting a Dell R740 from an ISO.

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Tue Sep 26 21:05:03 CDT 2023

I have a Dell 740R I and trying to boot a Red Hat 8 ISO from but it hangs
before even loading the boot loader. I've even used the virtual media bit
option to ensure it's not a bad DVD.  I've tested the ISO in a few virtual
hosts (VMWare player, Virtual Box) and it works fine.

The virtual media monitor shows that the system reads about 1.5MB then just
stops.  If I eject the virtual media the system complains that it was
trying to read from /EFI/BOOT/ but no future details.  (Same message if I
eject a DVD from a USB attached drive.)

Have any thoughts?

I'll try a RHEL 7 image, and possibly Debian just to confirm a boot sector
quirk isn't to blame, but ultimately I have to install RHEL 8.

Dan