[olug] Home monitoring options

Joel B joel at kansaslinuxfest.org
Fri Nov 17 19:48:58 CST 2023

It's not always easy to maintain or initially configure, but I've been a user and big fan of ZoneMinder for many years.

My current go-to cameras are inexpensive Amcrest cameras and I use ONVIF triggers to offload motion detection to the cameras (saves a ton of CPU). I understand the development version has better support for this.

ZM has worked with just about every camera I have thrown at it. I even have some "fake" cameras that are locally created jpegs showing things like room temperature (imagemagick fun)