[olug] Home monitoring options

Ben Hollingsworth obiwan at jedi.com
Fri Nov 17 17:51:45 CST 2023

I know a lot of people like Ubiquiti as a company.  However, their
cameras are considerably more expensive than the Annkes that I bought,
and professional reviewers consistently rate Ubiquiti's night vision
quality as well below average.

As with any purchase, you'll want to decide what aspects of the system
are most important to you when choosing among cameras.  For me, who
lives many miles from the nearest streetlamp, night vision quality was
paramount.  I also couldn't stomach paying $3K for a system that
performed worse than a $1K system, just to get a nice GUI.

On 11/17/23 17:24, Shawn L. Djernes wrote:
> I would also recommend UniFi Protect. I have the UNVR Pro and 26 camera.
>
> Shawn L. Djernes
> sdjernes at gmail.com
> +1 (402) 350-6973
>

> On Fri, Nov 17, 2023 at 16:17 Dan Linder<dan at linder.org>  wrote:
>
>> I'll make this quick. :-)
>>
>> I would like to put in something that is simple to maintain like ab Amazon
>> Ring doorbell camera, or a security camera monitor in my house.
>>
>> Balancing the "Big Brother" security concerns with the need to meet a
>> "Spousal Acceptance Factor" level, I'm not 100% against Amazon or Google
>> options, and I like some of their integrations with other home automation
>> tools.
>>
>> If there's a simple to set up and low maintenance open source option with
>> local control over the videos, I'd be tempted to go that route.
>>
>> I need to check out the system that Jeff Geerling has mentioned on his
>> channel, but anyone else have other suggestions?
>>
>> DanL

*Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth* obiwan at jedi.com www.Jedi.com
<http://www.jedi.com>
promise that You will pull me through. /-- Rich Mullins/