[olug] Home monitoring options

Ben Hollingsworth obiwan at jedi.com
Fri Nov 17 16:59:44 CST 2023

My bandwidth can't handle a cloud solution, so when I installed five 4K
security cameras earlier this year, I went with an Annke NVR solution
that houses everything on a box in my basement, yet is still viewable
from off-site via a phone app.  Not open source, unfortunately, as there
are a number of UI changes that I'd love to make.

I tried three different camera systems (including Wyze and Lorax), but
settled on Annke as the best of the three for my needs.  The cameras
have pretty decent low light quality, too.

I can share a lot more details if you want them.

On 11/17/23 16:14, Dan Linder wrote:
> I'll make this quick. :-)
>
> I would like to put in something that is simple to maintain like ab Amazon
> Ring doorbell camera, or a security camera monitor in my house.
>
> Balancing the "Big Brother" security concerns with the need to meet a
> "Spousal Acceptance Factor" level, I'm not 100% against Amazon or Google
> options, and I like some of their integrations with other home automation
> tools.
>
> If there's a simple to set up and low maintenance open source option with
> local control over the videos, I'd be tempted to go that route.
>
> I need to check out the system that Jeff Geerling has mentioned on his
> channel, but anyone else have other suggestions?
>
> DanL

*Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth* obiwan at jedi.com www.Jedi.com
<http://www.jedi.com>
promise that You will pull me through. /-- Rich Mullins/