[olug] OT: Dell Help?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Jun 21 12:57:12 CDT 2023

Craig Wolf said on Wed, 21 Jun 2023 10:19:21 -0500

>Last item to test before the MB HAS to be the problem is the power
>switch. I ordered one for $15 to verify if it is the problem child.

Before replacing the switch, remove all the wires from mobo except for
the power supply, microprocessor, video card, hard disks including NVMe
and optical, and RAM. Start by shorting pins with a screwdriver. The
problem could have been caused by anything connected to the mobo, not
exclusively the switch. Also, to prevent future occurrence, the best
replacement switch is a dollar fifty doorbell switch without a light or
fancy fru-frus. Doorbell switches have enough space between contacts
that they won't go intermittent.

>Power switch has 5 pins so not even sure WHICH ones to short to see if
>it is the switch, hence the purchase...

>Has an Nvidia card and built in video, hasn't made a difference if in
>or not.

Which was in use before things went bad? In my opinion, you should
assume nVidea cards are a problem and replace them if unless the
computer is full time Windows. I'd get the Radeon. Dell might still
have the 2GB version: I got my 2GB Radeon from them in December 2000.

SteveT

Steve Litt