[olug] OT: Dell Help?

Craig Wolf wolfout101 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 10:19:21 CDT 2023

Thank you all for the ideas!!

This is a Dell XPS 8940 with a proprietary PS (long square ones) that
delivers power to the drives through the MB.  Don't have any with that
style power supply to pull from to test with.  Replacement PS was
guaranteed to function so there is that...  No lights on the MB when
plugged in or power on attempted.  MB capacitors are clean.  Both power
supplies do not have the test switch.
Last item to test before the MB HAS to be the problem is the power switch.
I ordered one for $15 to verify if it is the problem child.  Power switch
has 5 pins so not even sure WHICH ones to short to see if it is the switch,
hence the purchase...
Has an Nvidia card and built in video, hasn't made a difference if in or
not.
System warranty expired last year so no help there and Dell wants me to pay
to troubleshoot with them (understandably).

Craig Wolf
(402)990-3010

Strengths: Activator, Relator, Adaptability, Learner, Achiever
Take a moment to Make a moment! - Shekeela/VZW