[olug] OT: Dell Help?

William Mihalo wmihalo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 18:13:00 CDT 2023

Here is what I would do.

   1. Check the power supply and make sure you haven't received a
   used/failed one. This is common with material that was made during the
   pandemic. I have a collection of consumer goods that I had to return
   because they failed.
   2. Inspect the motherboard. Pay particular attention to the capacitors.
   If the top of a capacitor is bulging, that means the capacitor probably
   failed. This was a problem 20 years ago but I'm not sure what parts were
   used to build a motherboard within the last few years.
   3. Was the computer left running in a room that wasn't air conditioned?
   I've had servers fail because the air conditioning to a server room failed
   and the server room went over 120F over 8 hours.
   4. Test for a failed component. Disconnect all peripherals from the
   motherboard--including the video display card and try powering on the
   computer. If the power supply starts running, then you may have a failed
   peripheral.
   5. I ran a cluster that consisted of Dell computers that were OEMed to
   another manufacturer. The cluster would have a CPU fail and knock a server
   offline. The solution was to replace the CPU.

However, the description of your problem sounds like you may have received
a failed power supply. Finally, check all your connections to the
motherboard and power supply and make sure nothing is loose. Also check the
front panel to motherboard connections.

Bill Mihalo
wmihalo at gmail.com