[olug] Linux terms and commands

Dave Pfister dave.pfister at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 08:17:32 CDT 2022

I mean, "useful" is a pretty subjective term... a casual user looking for a
cheap OS alternative is going to have very different choices here than say,
a developer, or a network admin, or a systems admin.
IMO, bash is #1 by a country mile since that's your core UI unless you're
going to drag X into the mix.  FS manipulation/navigation stuff is close
second (ls, cd, mv, rm, etc...) followed by file manipulation stuff
(cat/less/more/tar/gzip/grep).  Third tier is likely self-service help
(man/info).  Pretty much everything else would vary by use-case.

On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 7:44 AM Joseph Gulizia <joseph.gulizia at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thank you for responding.  Due to a physical constraint I need to limit the
> number of terms to 48 terms.  I am hopeful others will give their input as
> well.
>
> Joe
>
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2022, 00:36 Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
>
> > You should know most of the listed commands. Here are a few I consider
> > of minor importance:
> >
> > telnet: Used only for socket troubleshooting.
> >
> > nano: A relatively lousy editor. Vim, Emacs and VSCode are all better.
> >       IMHO.
> >
> > paste: Too complicated. Better done with AWK or Python.
> >
> > The rest are very useful in numerous circumstances. And you forgot dd
> > and its more intelligent cousin, ddrescue.
> >
> > SteveT
> >

> > Joseph Gulizia said on Tue, 22 Mar 2022 17:51:59 -0500
> >
> > >Informal Poll:
> > >
> > >Which of these terms would you consider most important to know (1),
> > >somewhat important to know (2) and least important to know (3).  I'm
> > >trying to limit these to a list of 48.  Are there other terms that
> > >should be a (1) or a (2)....what would they replace?  I'd like to have
> > >all your feedback by Thursday March 24th if possible.  Thanks,
> > >Joe Gulizia
> > >
> > >/
> > >/bin
> > >/boot
> > >/dev
> > >/etc
> > >/home
> > >/lib
> > >/media
> > >/mnt
> > >/proc
> > >/opt
> > >/sbin
> > >/tmp
> > >/usr
> > >/var
> > >apropos
> > >awk
> > >bash
> > >bunzip
> > >cal
> > >cat
> > >cd
> > >chgrp
> > >chmod
> > >chown
> > >clear
> > >cp
> > >cut
> > >date
> > >df
> > >du
> > >echo
> > >emacs
> > >find
> > >free
> > >fsck
> > >grep
> > >gunzip
> > >gzip
> > >head
> > >hostname
> > >id
> > >ifconfig
> > >info
> > >init
> > >kill
> [...]

"The empires of the future are the empires of the mind."
  - Winston Churchill