[olug] groups sms recommendation?

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 14:15:49 CST 2022

Chart of GSM-7 character set shows that almost all of the control
characters are ripped out of ASCII
and replaced with other printable chars.   Only CR,LF, and ESC remain.
So hopefully any API converts  incompatible chars for you like this webpage
does:

https://twiliodeved.github.io/message-segment-calculator/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM_03.38#GSM_7-bit_default_alphabet_and_extension_table_of_3GPP_TS_23.038_.2F_GSM_03.38

Be very leary if any double quote char that is not 0x22 or 34.

My issues mainly bit me using powershell.exe, pwsh, wt.exe , and even wsl
because Windows  cli character encoding is a nightmare!   wsl does not run
for me atm, so can’t verify how that behaved.  Want to say wsl was broken
but not the MobaXterm shell.

If you work on many different platforms  or aiming to make your script or
datafile cross-platform, be careful, the start of the file may be utf8
(Linux Standard) and it looks normal but have an incompatible u16 char that
will timesink your project.