[olug] USB ethernet interface names too long test

Matthew G. Marsh olug4mgm at paktronix.com
Tue May 25 09:03:34 CDT 2021

Huh - nice. That just explained why one of my scripts a few years ago kept
blowing up. I was using a similar long manual naming scheme for tuntap
devices. Never did dig in to figure out what was wong - just changed the
naming scheme to 8 char (which I default to if I suspect a length issue -
ah good ol' DOS names).

Thanks for the pointer!

mgm

On Mon, 24 May 2021, Rob Townley wrote:

> On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 3:21 PM Rob Townley <rob.townley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> root# ip link add dev 1234567890123456 type dummy
>> Error: argument "1234567890123456" is wrong: "name" too long
>>
>> root# ip link add dev 123456789012345 type dummy
>>
>> Our Plugable.com usb3me-hub3me usb-to-ethernet  network adapters are named  by default as enx${MacAddress}  which  with the NULL ?\0?  at the end pushes  it to 16 characters.
>>
>>   enx${MacAddress}.3 does not work to get to vLan 3 because of the name is too long.
>>
>> So will have to use udev rules to rename these devices so that i can get them on the switch management vLan i  locked myself out  of ?. yet again.
>>

> i meant to add that i did not come up with that tidbit, it came from
> stackoverflow.
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/24932172/what-length-can-a-network-interface-name-have

Matthew G. Marsh
Special Email Addr for OLUG ;-}