[olug] Two Competing Fiber Optic Utilities in One Conduit

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Thu May 6 08:16:49 CDT 2021

The price of fiber optic service has dropped considerably which has brought
with it an unexpected problem - not enough conduit into the building.  Has
anyone had any luck whatsoever getting a fiber optic installer to share
with a competitor existing conduit entering the building?  They would need
to meet up at a shared in-ground box outside the building, then merge their
fiber runs into one conduit that enters the building.      Once inside the
building, go their separate ways.

The distance from the outside box to inside would be relatively short (
twenty feet or maybe much less) and straight, so even two thick cables
should make it through.  I understand cables bind and wrap around one
another, but this is not a long curvey conduit.  I also understand neither
wants the liability of the other damaging their equipment.  Anyone had luck
with this?

p.s: Fiber Optic service has come down in price in so much, you might want
to see if you can get a better deal than coax.