[olug] Fails Over, but does Not Fail Back

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Mon May 3 19:46:00 CDT 2021

And you forgot my favorite:

-Retailer C1: "What's DR?"

-Retailer C2: "DR?  Yeah, each of the owners has a well-padded bank account
to get them through a couple of years if things go badly...  If *we* got
hurt, that would truly be a disaster..."

Dan

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 7:37 PM Dave Thacker <dthacker9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jay, I've never seen it either.   However, I have seen
> -Retailer S:  spent a team to Maryland to do their first DR exercise for
> several years.   Got stuck in a blizzard en route and had to cancel.
> -Retailer G: Who built a pretty comprehensive plan, but decided that a
> tabletop exercise was good enough.
>
> It was good times.  :)
>
> DT
>
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 5:13 PM Jay Hannah <jay.hannah at iinteractive.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I remain amazed that a lifetime ago Dave and I (and others) actually
> > unplugged our primary datacenter twice a year to make sure our Disaster
> > Recovery plan ACTUALLY worked.
> >
> > Since then I've been at... 5(?) HUGE companies, ZERO of which have done
> > *actual* DR trials... ever.
> >
> > Good times,   :)

> Dave Thacker

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch,
  you must first invent the universe."
  -- Carl Sagan

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    (Who can watch the watchmen?)
    -- from the Satires of Juvenal

"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them."
    -- Isaac Asimov (Author)