[olug] Hardware question!

aric at omahax.com aric at omahax.com
Thu Mar 25 00:01:55 CDT 2021

What server model is it? Does it have a SAS backplane?------ Original message------From: Craig WolfDate: Wed, Mar 24, 2021 5:39 PMTo: Omaha Linux User Group;Cc: Subject:[olug] Hardware question!Ok hardware geeks, I need input because google and my google-fu is failing
me...

I am ordering a Dell server with a Perc 330 for a very small business to
use. I can get a SAS drive cheaper than a SATA drive and I would prefer
something more "enterprise" on the server.

My question is this: Never worked with SAS drives before and can't get
straight info on the cable I need to attach from the controller to the SAS
drive.
Perc Controller connectors: Two x4 internal mini-SAS HD SFF8644
Seagate HD (ST2000NM0045) is 12GB/s SAS connector or SATA

Do I need this:
https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Internal-SFF-8643-SFF-8482-connectors/dp/B01GPD6FZE

Thank you to anyone that can make sense of my gibberish...

Craig Wolf
(402)990-3010

Strengths: Activator, Relator, Adaptability, Learner,
 Achiever