[olug] OT: Networking for Home Office

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Tue Jan 12 16:18:52 CST 2021

Since you mentioned Ubiquiti Networks...  I saw this on HackerNews
yesterday:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=25735032

Main link:
https://mailchi.mp/ubnt/account-notification

A lot of people were noting the "MailChmp" domain they used, and all
internal links are mail tracking enabled, even the change password links...
:(

Dan

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 4:12 PM Craig Wolf <wolfout101 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I will second the Ubiquiti equipment for networking! It is really nice for
> the price.  Netgear for the switching will treat you well also!!
>
> Make sure you have a good UPS!!
>
> Craig Wolf
> (402)990-3010
>
> Strengths: Activator, Relator, Adaptability, Learner, Achiever
>

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 1:24 PM <ndjstn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I had an Orbi and if I am not mistaken Orbi Routers are wifi6. I don’t
> > really like the phone app integration of the Orbi either. I would just
> > stick to cat5 or cat6 keep everything hardwired that you can and set up a
> > dual+ nic hardware firewall with a used pc using pfsense. Try and cordon
> > off your wifi, IoT, and if you set up a vpn with it. Install pfblockerng
> > and run dhcp services and dns resolver. If you are feeling froggy you can
> > even use HAProxy and acme to do ssl over your own private network. There
> > are a myriad of instructional videos on how to do this kind of thing. If
> > you live in a GUI you can easily use this to setup personal home server
> > with something like duckdns and a script in your firewall. A really old
> > machine will work. The cabling would be cheaper. Just get pass through TD
> > and boots. It’s night and day nicer to work with. You will have
> noticeably
> > less targeted ads and more privacy. Try Nextcloud and self hosted bit
> > warden as well. You can tell most cloud services to pound salt.
> >

> > > On Jan 11, 2021, at 12:33, Scott Jensen <fkadriver at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > All,
> > >
> > > I know that this is slightly off topic and I think that this has been
> > > discussed before here, but I can't seem to find the emails.
> > >
> > > I'm currently building a separate office (technically an 8x10 shed)
> next
> > > my home.  Because of this, I'm redoing all my inhouse network wiring.
> > > also get a chance to upgrade my networking hardware to get it all to a
> > > single provider.  Since it is technically a home network I'm not
> looking
> > > spend a ton.
> > >
> > > So here is what I already have
> > >
> > >   - Windstream 100MB internet (The fastest that I have access to)
> > >      - This probably will not change
> > >   - Netgear Orbi RB40 and 2 RBS20
> > >      - Currently providing the WiFi
> > >      - Like the Circle and Bitdefender controls
> > >   - Various NetGear and TP-Link unmanaged switches only 1 with gig
> > >   - Xbox One S
> > >   - 3 TV that are used exclusively for streaming and movies
> > >
> > > Looking to build:
> > >
> > >   - 16-24 port Core switch
> > >      - Needs VLAN support
> > >      - Needs SFP (going to run fiber between main and office)
> > >   - 5-8 Port Edge switch
> > >      - Will use multiple VLAN trunks from the main switch
> > >      - PoE would be nice, but not necessary at this time
> > >

> > > Once I settle on a brand, I might upgrade or replace the Orbi with
> WiFi 6
> > > mess, but waiting till 6e is completely flushed and cheaper.

> [...]

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch,
  you must first invent the universe."
  -- Carl Sagan

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    (Who can watch the watchmen?)
    -- from the Satires of Juvenal

"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them."
    -- Isaac Asimov (Author)