[olug] OT: Networking for Home Office

ndjstn at gmail.com ndjstn at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 13:24:10 CST 2021

I had an Orbi and if I am not mistaken Orbi Routers are wifi6. I don’t really like the phone app integration of the Orbi either. I would just stick to cat5 or cat6 keep everything hardwired that you can and set up a dual+ nic hardware firewall with a used pc using pfsense. Try and cordon off your wifi, IoT, and if you set up a vpn with it. Install pfblockerng and run dhcp services and dns resolver. If you are feeling froggy you can even use HAProxy and acme to do ssl over your own private network. There are a myriad of instructional videos on how to do this kind of thing. If you live in a GUI you can easily use this to setup personal home server with something like duckdns and a script in your firewall. A really old machine will work. The cabling would be cheaper. Just get pass through TD and boots. It’s night and day nicer to work with. You will have noticeably less targeted ads and more privacy. Try Nextcloud and self hosted bit warden as well. You can tell most cloud services to pound salt.