[olug] Solar Winds Fallout

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 09:35:21 CST 2021

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 8:58 AM Teale Sloterdijk <teale11 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I still refuse to believe it was russia. Im thinking it’s a closer ally
> that has the best hackers in the world, Israel.
>
> Just remember, it was wapo and nytimes who first came out with the russia
> narrative, not our intelligence community and then all the other publishers
> took it and ran with it.
>
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 08:46 Dave Thacker <dthacker9 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Gets uglier and uglier.
> >

> https://www.zdnet.com/article/solarwinds-the-more-we-learn-the-worse-it-looks/
> >

> > --
> > Dave Thacker

Long before it was reported in neespapers, well known infosec people on
twitter were pinning Russia.   For one, Russia wanted the vaccine recipes
and they got them.

My question is why were we so distracted in the first place to allow this
to happen?

Would it have happened if Windows did not require admin rights to develop
and debug software?