[olug] Fails Over, but does Not Fail Back

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 20:14:52 CDT 2021

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 10:17 AM Ben Hollingsworth <obiwan at jedi.com> wrote:

> It's been a long time since I dealt with linux failover, but back then,
> system2 would not revert back to system1 unless system2 went down.  A
> dual redundant system doesn't generally care which half is running as
> long as ONE of them is running.  There's no concept of a preferred and
> backup system--there are just two systems that are equally capable of
> handling the load.

I wish all redundant systems could be equal but they are not as in choosing
internet pathways.  When two systems are equal such as LAN bandwidth, I
wish active/active was the default more frequently because I would not have
a fallback problem and maximize speed.    For instance, we will be dealing
with multipath storage and LACP again soon enough.  But they often want
active/passive instead of active/active.  Active/Passive could also have
fallback problem whereas Active/Active does not.