[olug] restricting ports on SSH forwarding

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Fri May 29 00:40:02 CDT 2020

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 9:52 PM Lou Duchez <lou at paprikash.com> wrote:

> I am on Team Linux as much as possible myself, but we do have a few
> servers that do WIndows.  Some run ASP.Net applications (and as good as
> Mono is, it's still less stable than genuine .Net).  And we have, on the
> cloud, some virtual PCs that we use for development or running other
> Windows utilities; accessing them securely is a big deal.

Depending on what version of Windows Server you're dealing with, installing
OpenSSH might be as easy as adding/enabling a Windows feature:

*OpenSSH is the open-source version of the Secure Shell (SSH) tools used by
> administrators of Linux and other non-Windows for cross-platform management
> of remote systems. OpenSSH has been added to Windows as of autumn 2018, and
> is included in Windows 10 and Windows Server 2019.*

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/openssh/openssh_overview
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/openssh/openssh_install_firstuse

Between OpenSSH, WSL, and even PowerShell, it's amazing how Unixy Windows
is getting. ;-)

--
Christopher