[olug] Suggestions on small VPS provider

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Mon Jul 6 14:19:46 CDT 2020

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 8:41 AM Dan Linder <dan at linder.org> wrote:

> I have a couple small websites (www.linder.org, and www.corvette-resto.com
> )
> that I currently host on a site that has a very limited shared hosting
> option at $90/year that is coming up for renewal.  (Thankfully these are
> very small and light-weight sites so moving them should be a quick weekend
> project.)
>
> Does anyone have any VPS providers they can recommend?

I use linode.com
<https://www.linode.com/?r=f026fefea7c46e0c7d7fd867a5aa1cecdc94e8cb>. I've
been with them since around 2007 or 2008 and been incredibly happy with
them.  They have plans starting from $5/month for the smallest VPS's, and
you can convert up if you need more resources (or down, but with more
difficulty if with smaller disk allocations).

They really feel like a "built by geeks/engineers for other
geeks/engineers" kind of place.  Lots of flexibility and visibility to
manage your VPS exactly how you want.  Tons of available features and
options, and they've continually increased the VPS specs without increasing
prices across the time I've been using them.  They also offer hourly
pricing if you need to spin something up for a short time, and the hourly
pricing automatically caps at the monthly prices.

I seriously can't recommend them highly enough.  I've had nothing but
positive experiences with them.

--
Christopher