[olug] Chromebooks & Crostini!

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 13:41:36 CST 2020

Crostini and isolation would be great talk. Seems like Google adopted the
principle of security through isolation from Qubes-OS so glad to see
mainstream support for separation of banking, health, work, dev, and so on.
I listened to parts of the video while working, so did not absorb
everything, but some things caught my ears:

WebServer is "*complicated under the hood*" but no remote port forwarding
as of yet.  QubesOS handles this with at least two or more virtual
machines, one VM for just networking and another VM for a firewall and the
ability to use those as templates for custom things like hosting an
external webserver on your desktop.

"*USB is most painful stack*" tells me that they are taking lack of
security of USB seriously.  I do not need more speed from USB hardware, i
need basic security at a hardware level.  (I also need microethernet ports,
not USB ethernet. Different rant. )  I can dream.  Not sure what she is
saying exactly, but i thought that the USB phone was supposed to be
connected to the host OS only, but then the phone  appears automatically in
not just the Crostini base OS but also Linux virtual machine guest
<https://youtu.be/pRlh8LX4kQI?t=1450>.   https://youtu.be/pRlh8LX4kQI?t=1450

+1 for Google mentioning Firefox.

My kids cracked my old ChromeBook.    Any WAF feedback regarding Crostini
would be appreciated.

So Matt would love a meeting diving deep into Crostini but I thought Bruce
was showing off Kubernetes in March?