[olug] questions about socket programming

Lou Duchez lou at paprikash.com
Mon Aug 3 04:52:52 CDT 2020

I had another architectural issue, but I came up with a design to solve
it, so I'll share.  Part of my problem is, my grand loop needs to look
at data coming in from a couple different connections, and I didn't go
into that earlier, but that was part of my thinking as to why I needed
to do a loop with a sleep step as a separate operation.  Basically I
needed a loop that would check each connection and then go back to the
first after a brief delay.

HOWEVER, if I instead take the different connections and move each to
its own process, which then communicate to my socket server only when
they have data, that detangles the whole mess.  Each process can then
wait in blocking mode without impeding the others, and the socket server
will receive updates just as quickly as the other processes can report
them.  Much cleaner design that doesn't bog the whole system down.  Now
I just need to adapt my code.