[olug] May and beyond

Lou Duchez lou at paprikash.com
Wed Apr 8 08:12:08 CDT 2020

I feel there is a big asterisk next to all this talk of peak COVID-19:
it is a peak IF AND ONLY IF we practice social distancing and proper
hygiene until such time as a vaccine or cure has been developed and
deployed to the general public.  If we don't think in those terms --
like if we return to normal habits on June 1 -- we'll see new spikes of
COVID-19 a couple weeks later.

So, social distancing is the new normal.

There is a subtle benefit that comes of all this, though: it is forcing
us to figure out how to practice a lifestyle that involves less
commuting, fewer trips, and overall generating less pollution. Those are
skills we collectively needed to develop to help with climate change, so
it may work out that COVID-19 teaches us the skills required to keep
this planet habitable.  If so, I will be happy to shake COVID-19's hand,
while wearing like twelve layers of glove of course.