[olug] Patch HPE SSDs, yes those real expensive ones

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 10:02:37 CST 2019

These drives dies at 32,768 hours.  Yes, healthy HPE enterprise drives that
were originally $1700 to over $4,000 each just decide not to work.

RAID array ?  DEAD!
Drive? DEAD!
Data? Dead!
HPE SmartCache? DEAD?

Last week, multiple users said system was all-of-a-sudden slow.  Our HPE
SmartCache of SSDs had died out of the blue.  All six drives had either 97%
or 99% of their life left.    Not sure it is due to the same problem, but
came across these articles and thought there will others patching over
ThanksGiving.

https://old.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/e1x729/uh_oh_hpe_issues_firmware_fix_to_stop_certain_sas/f8s9yw9/

HPE tells users to patch SSDs to prevent failure after 32,768 hours of
operation
HPE SAS SSD users need to install a critical firmware patch or they'll lose
their SSDs, including their data.

https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/hpe-tells-users-to-patch-ssds-to-prevent-failure-after-32768-hours-of-operation/

Why?  Some arrogant programmer did not learn this same problem happened to
multiple manufacturers in the early days of SSDs.  About a decade or so
ago, both of our Crucial and intel SSDs exhibited a similar problem, but
patching the firmware brought them and the data back.   Articles indicate
nothing resuscitates these drives.