[olug] Firewall appliances for small business (Might be OT sorry)

Lou Duchez lou at paprikash.com
Thu Apr 25 12:30:47 CDT 2019

I confess I've been thinking about good firewalls too.  Not that I have
actual need for one at the moment, but I'd kind of like to know.

A Linux box configured for firewalling is a good and splendid thing
because one can configure the living heck out of it.  But I'm concerned
about performance.

One thing I wish our Cisco firewall did, that my various Linux boxes can
do with ease, is define IP address ranges via ipset / iptables
technology.  With Linux, you can go to ipdeny.com and get lists of IP
blocks per country, and then block traffic to this destination or that
based on country.  Like, while I see the need to allow mail delivery
from overseas, I can't think of any good reasons to allow IMAP or POP3
traffic with overseas locations. It's just an easy enough vulnerability
to block.