[olug] RPi as a security camera

Justin Reiners justin at hotlinesinc.com
Mon Jun 4 22:45:03 CDT 2018

Sorry Ben Just got home.

Yes, I have about 3 of them with the digital zoom, each step you lose
quality a bit, so I keep them zoomed out for best image quality.

The Dome works better in the dark for our use.

Out of the box, it seems to use that P2P crap for the iPhone and Android.
You can plug these cameras into a network, and install zoneminder, or
another camera distro, and either record locally like we do, or set up a
cloud server to save the stream to. Kerberos.io looks quite interesting,
and I may try it at my home soon.

For the price these guys are great, and the picture quality is top notch
for a cheap home or small business camera. One thing to keep in mind is if
possible, firewall them from the network. They like to ping home. I still
use them, and even purchased a couple for my home.