[olug] Laptop suggestions

aric at omahax.com aric at omahax.com
Tue Oct 24 23:03:38 CDT 2017

I suggest a few things
1.  Intel Kaby Lake R 8th Gen i5 or i7 U series CPU they are quad core, have high clock rates and use much less power then the previous generation.
2.  Dual Channel Memory  Some "ultra books" come with only one DIMM slot.  Many come with 2 and often only have only one slot populated, this is ideal, after market RAM is cheap, just add a stick and double your memory capasity and bandwidth.
3.  M.2 PCI-e type SSD or atleast a slot for it.These are very fast and make the old SATA SSDs seem like slow spinny disks.
The rest, screen size and resolution, auxiliary 2.5 in drive bay, keyboard, touchpad, decrete GPUs, is all subjective to personal preference and needs.
....Ideally you want one that doesn't require a hair dryer and a spudger to get to the hard drive.
------ Original message------From: Craig WolfDate: Mon, Oct 23, 2017 10:26 AMTo: Omaha Linux User Group;Cc: Subject:Re: [olug] Laptop suggestions
Ok, I will chime in here:
Asus is great equipment based on usage I have seen from people over the
years.  I would go there first for a personal laptop.
Sony/Toshiba sucks to get ANY support on if the hardware stays functioning
in any way...won't put anyone I care about in those.
HP/Dell business lines are pretty solid, if not a bit expensive.
Lenovo...mixed.  Seem to have hinge problems on many models and I have seen
that (less than 3 years tops out of them) more than once.
Love my Macs BUT not upgradable at all.

These are my opinions...your mileage may vary.

Craig Wolf
(402)990-3010

Strengths: Activator, Relator, Adaptability, Learner, Achiever