[olug] Slightly off topic: Ansible

aric at omahax.com aric at omahax.com
Wed Nov 1 12:26:38 CDT 2017

Just commenting on the IRC vs Slack debate.
Out of principle, I'd prefer to use a protocol and some code for communication instead of using someone elses computer that is running a proprietary service.  ............I don't miss the AIM/Yahoo/IQC/MSN Trillian aggregated chatroom messenger cluster mess.
What would be nice would be an open-source decentralized version of Slack with end to end encryption. I don't think it would be too hard to do, all the parts are there. ........kiss the skynet

------ Original message------From: Tony GiesDate: Wed, Nov 1, 2017 10:16 AMTo: Omaha Linux User Group;Cc: Subject:Re: [olug] Slightly off topic: Ansible
What Jay said. If you like IRC, you can basically squint and pretend
it's IRC, or actually use the IRC bridge to log in. But it also has
the large sans serif type, colorful layouts, and emojis that your non
technical staff need in order to feel comfortable, and enables the
early-20-somethings who only communicate in animated GIFs of
characters from TV shows to do so. The main downside is that the
official client is just a web app that you either need to keep a
browser window for, or download their "desktop app" which is done in
Electron meaning it hosts an entire separate Chromium browser itself
and eats up an absolute crapton of RAM just sitting there, and still
is essentially just a thin client to the same web app.

Tony Gies
Technical Projects Director
gruppe86 | IT Consulting, Software Development, Systems Integration