[olug] OT - Cox to start billing for people using more than 1tb a month

Leo . lgdeluca84 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 13:13:59 CST 2017

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 12:14 PM, T. J. Brumfield <enderandrew at gmail.com>
wrote:

> It bothers me that I don't have any other options for home use. CenturyLink
> literally doesn't offer anything better than 3 Mbps in my neighborhood. Cox
> said 3 years ago that we'd have gigabit within a year, and they still have
> no updates on timeline, what neighborhoods will be covered, pricing, etc.
> I've got Cox's $85 tier which is supposed to be 150 Mbps but I get about
> 20-30.

​I contacted Century Link and they offered me 1.5mbps as the maximum
download speed in my area; $14 for 6 months, $44 after that. I was hoping
it would at least be ​symmetric or something because it made no sense, but
no (upload was like 700kbps). The lady tried to convince me that 1.5mbps
was good enough for general use. I know it's not her fault that CL doesn't
have actual coverage in my area, but I had to restrain myself to not get
mad at her when she was trying to convince me that 1.5mbps was good enough.

Right now I have Cox 15mbps and I pay $63 a month. I honestly think that
price is terrible, but when I can't switch to any other ISP there's not
much I can do. I'm not anywhere near the data cap now, but the "1TB ought
to be enough for anybody" mentality really bothers me too.