[olug] Redhat deprecating BTRFS

Aaron Grothe ajgrothe at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 7 00:58:57 CDT 2017

Wow!!!
>From the Red Hat 7.4 release notes: Chapter 53. Deprecated Functionality

|  |
Chapter 53. Deprecated Functionality

"Btrfs has been deprecated
The Btrfs file system has been in Technology Preview state since the initial release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. Red Hat will not be moving Btrfs to a fully supported feature and it will be removed in a future major release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.The Btrfs file system did receive numerous updates from the upstream in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.4 and will remain available in the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 series. However, this is the last planned update to this feature."Like I said wow.  Red Hat also just bought the Permabit guys that have dedupe and compression tools.  So I'm kind of curious if they are just going to beef up ext4 or something else.Interesting times in Red Hat world.Regards,Aaron0-0-0"The Journey is the Reward" - Old Zen Buddhist Saying