[olug] Fwd: [10.17.2016 34620193] Compromised Computer Notification from Cox Communications

Lou Duchez lou at paprikash.com
Mon Oct 17 13:34:23 CDT 2016

The good news about malware these days is, their goal isn't to break
your computer, just to hijack it. That means it may be fixable.

I recommend:

1) Disconnect the offending (Windows, presumably) computer from the
Internet.

2) Download VIPRE Rescue onto a flash drive on another computer:

https://www.vipreantivirus.com/support.aspx#vp-Rescue

3) Take the flash drive to the compromised computer and try to disinfect it.

I haven't done battle with rootkits in a few years, but let VIPRE Rescue
take a crack at it.  If it can do its thing, and then a second scan
comes back clean, you may well be fixed.

Also, a good utility to have is HiJackThis, a utility to let you see
what Windows is loading up, and more importantly you can tell Windows
what to stop loading:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/