[olug] Wifi

Ryan Stille ryan at stillnet.org
Sat Mar 26 14:04:01 CDT 2016

You can a directional yagi 2.4Ghz antenna with coax from China for just
over $15
<http://www.dx.com/p/2-4ghz-16dbi-directional-high-gain-16-unit-antenna-for-wifi-wireless-network-rp-sma-33016#.VvbcveIrK7M>.
I've used them before, it didn't seem to work that great. I might have had
another problem, not sure. But much less hassle in my opinion is to mount
the whole unit outside, such as the Ubiquiti Nanolocom2.

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-Nanolocom2-Airmax-LOCOM2/dp/B00HXT8FFI/
It's a an access point/client/whatever + the antenna and all powered over
the ethernet cable. It even comes with the power injector. It's quite a
bargain at under $50. I replaced a TP-link unit with one of these and was
much happier with the Ubiquiti.