[olug] who's using what for milters?

Lou Duchez lou at paprikash.com
Sat Dec 3 22:13:32 CST 2016

Back in the naughties sometime, I cobbled together a "milter" (mail
filter that does virus and spam scanning) that uses clamav,
spamassassin, and clamassassin.  It works well enough I guess, but it's
fussy.

Circumstances have forced me to rebuild a mail server, and while I'm at
it, maybe it's time to install a better milter.  So, who uses what?

Side note, you won't regret using rsync to back up your important data
to another server on a regular basis.  Every service your server runs,
back up the associated data frequently: if it's a mail server back up
your mail, if it's a Web server back up your Web directories, if you run
databases do database replication.  Have a server at the ready that does
nothing but collect backup data, so that, if you need to replace your
production server, you've got a server all ready with the data and all
you have to do is activate software and move data directories around.
Being paranoid about this sort of thing turned a recent server failure
into a minor inconvenience rather than a catastrophe.