[olug] Fiber question for you guys

Justin Reiners justin at hotlinesinc.com
Fri Apr 29 11:13:27 CDT 2016

Cox and Centurylink both drop fiber in my building and hand off optically,
via SMF. I terminate the fiber on Crisco switches for media conversion
using an SFP. The patch has to be SMF, because that is what my SFP handles.
With the old fiber patch plugged in I get link lights, so I think I can
assume that the existing patch is in fact SMF, right?? :) I am more
confused than anything at this point. 2x25ft SMF cables were 68 bucks.
Issue is, the ends are duplex so I cannot swap them, but it does in fact
look like they are crossed over correctly. I was just curious if there was
something I might be missing.

*GLC-LH-SMD-LU*

100% Cisco Compatible
1000BASE-LH SFP, SMF, 1310nm, LC/PC transceiver
High Quality with CE,RoHs,FCC

*Features & Specifications*

   - Form Factor: SFP
   - Device Type: Transceiver module