[olug] New MS software switch built using Linux.

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 01:15:42 CDT 2015

Software Defined Networking for your virtual Ethernet adapters can be $less
because then the  software switch runs as a VM.

Price tag of true hw for Software Defined Networking has always scared me
off but I did talk to UnixSurplus last year at DefCon when they have
dramatically reduced pricing, so mention DefCon.  Similar SW is $4000
more.  The guys I talked to were by no means experts, but you might call
for advice anyway

unixsurplus (mention DEFCON pricing). .

Copied from their webpage:
Just call us at 877.UNIX.123 (877.864.9123) or email websales@
<websales at unixsurplus>unixsurplus.com <websales at unixsurplus>.

That switch looked like a good deal, but  do lots of research before
buying.  Can they be optimized for LAN and SAN based needs? One question I
have is why more of them are not BSD based instead of Linux.