[olug] python crashes. Anyone out there running google-chrome on CentOS RHEL that could do a quick test?

Paul Orwig masterpo819 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 14:54:18 CST 2015

I am using CentOS 7 and havw Chrome installed...

Here is what I get:
[porwig at HP-Desktop Desktop]$ python
Python 2.7.5 (default, Jun 24 2015, 00:41:19)
>>> help()

Welcome to Python 2.7!  This is the online help utility.

If this is your first time using Python, you should definitely check out
the tutorial on the Internet at http://docs.python.org/2.7/tutorial/.

Enter the name of any module, keyword, or topic to get help on writing
Python programs and using Python modules.  To quit this help utility and
return to the interpreter, just type "quit".

To get a list of available modules, keywords, or topics, type "modules",
"keywords", or "topics".  Each module also comes with a one-line summary
of what it does; to list the modules whose summaries contain a given word
such as "spam", type "modules spam".

help> modules

Please wait a moment while I gather a list of all available modules...

dm.c: 1693: not running as root returning empty list
/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/gobject/constants.py:24: Warning:
g_boxed_type_register_static: assertion 'g_type_from_name (name) == 0'
failed
  import gobject._gobject
/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:40: Warning:
specified class size for type 'PyGtkGenericCellRenderer' is smaller than
the parent type's 'GtkCellRenderer' class size
  from gtk import _gtk
/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:40: Warning:
g_type_get_qdata: assertion 'node != NULL' failed
  from gtk import _gtk
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 10:01 AM, Rob Townley <rob.townley at gmail.com> wrote:

> <VerySimpleTest>
> $ python
> help> modules
> </VerySimpleTest>
>
> Fails or segfaults on my CentOS/RHEL 7.1 system
> Fails, but does not segfault on my CentOS6.7 system.
>
> A buddy tested on his system and was not able to reproduce, so i started
> thinking what is different about mine.  Almost every time, CentOS problems
> can be traced back to something installed outside of software repositories.
>
> Back in March, i ran a script that installs google-chrome, the script
> installs a different set of C Libraries.  ( I do not recommend google
> chrome on CentOS as it is very unstable and often slows my machine to a
> crawl.)
>
> Does anyone else have google-chrome installed on a RHEL derivative such as
> CentOS or Scientific Linux and could report back the results of the above 3
> line test?
>
> Thank You.

There is a loftier ambition than merely to stand high in the world. It is
to stoop down and lift mankind a little higher. -Henry van Dyke, poet
(1852-1933)