[olug] Looking for good POS software

Justin Reiners justin at hotlinesinc.com
Thu Mar 5 16:44:27 CST 2015

He uses an external reader, but he also has a payment gateway he can use,
currently he just runs them manually

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 4:37 PM, Justin <ndjstn at gmail.com> wrote:

> If he accepts cards then your friend pays a fee for services, no one in
> this world has a free merchant services account.  He may as well and use
> something like square.  It is also web based and they can check in where
> ever they want.  They usually have the funds transferred over by the next
> business day.  They should create a separate account for card transactions
> and use it as a shield to not tie up business capital during operations.
> Transferring the funds over to another account helps and people not doing
> this has been the basis of their issues with companies like PayPal and
> Square as they are required to do certain things for their risk model,
> insurance, and PCI compliance.  The fees are not that much and they can
> just manage the inventory spreadsheet template they offer.  You can sign up
> for access to their developer API and write an add on yourself.  It is web
> based and avoids a lot of PCI compliance responsibility from you on to the
> vendor as well.  You could also charge a fee for credit card use or glass
> half full and offer a cash discount.  I have used it successfully and they
> have a lot of nice features including a web presence.  Just remember to
> watch state to state laws as that is what sent Tommy Chong to prison not
> drugs; but smoking paraphernalia.
>
> Hope that helps good luck.
>
> On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 3:50 PM, Sean Sinclair <seanfsinclair at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I haven't tried any these but synaptic suggests lemonpos, hoteldruid, or
> > dolibarr.
> >
> > Lemonpos
> >
> > This package is a configurable general point of sale, not focused to a
> > specific
> > sector. It can be used at a general store, a fast-food restaurant or a
> > book store.
> >
> > hoteldruid
> >
> > HotelDruid is designed to make hotel rooms, bed and breakfast apartments,
> > or any other kind of daily rental easy to manage from a web browser.
> >
> > Main features:
> >  * automatic assignment of reservations to rooms by user-defined rules;
> >  * creation of public web pages displaying room availability, etc.;
> >  * saving, printing, and emailing of documents and invoices;
> >  * electronic point of sale;
> >  * management of groups and privileges for multi-user operation;
> >  * generation of statistical reports.
> >
> > It uses an SQLite database by default but can be configured for use
> > with MySQL or PostgreSQL.
> >
> > dolibarr
> >
> > Dolibarr ERP & CRM is an easy to use open source/free software for small
> > and medium companies, foundations or freelances. It includes different
> > features for Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and Customer Relationship
> > Management (CRM) but also for different other activities.
> >
> > It's a web software you can install as a standalone program or on any web
> > hosting provider to use it from anywhere with any web browser.

> [...]

[image: Hotlines Inc] <http://www.partshotlines.com>

Justin Reiners /
800.308.9712/ Justin at HotlinesInc.com

Hotlines Inc Office: 800.807.2867 / Fax: 800.211.0843
427 E. Kanesville Blvd. Suite 403, Council Bluffs, IA 51503
http://www.partshotlines.com

[image: Google Plus] <http://htmlsig.com/#%23%23%23> [image: Linkedin]
<http://htmlsig.com/#%23%23%23> [image: Skype] <http://htmlsig.com/jreiners>

This e-mail message may contain confidential or legally privileged
information and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s).
Any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or the
taking of any action in reliance on the information herein is prohibited.
E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error free as they
can be intercepted, amended, or contain viruses. Anyone who communicates
with us by e-mail is deemed to have accepted these risks. Company Name is
not responsible for errors or omissions in this message and denies any
responsibility for any damage arising from the use of e-mail. Any opinion
and other statement contained in this message and any attachment are solely
those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.