[olug] Looking for good POS software

Justin ndjstn at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 16:37:47 CST 2015

If he accepts cards then your friend pays a fee for services, no one in
this world has a free merchant services account.  He may as well and use
something like square.  It is also web based and they can check in where
ever they want.  They usually have the funds transferred over by the next
business day.  They should create a separate account for card transactions
and use it as a shield to not tie up business capital during operations.
Transferring the funds over to another account helps and people not doing
this has been the basis of their issues with companies like PayPal and
Square as they are required to do certain things for their risk model,
insurance, and PCI compliance.  The fees are not that much and they can
just manage the inventory spreadsheet template they offer.  You can sign up
for access to their developer API and write an add on yourself.  It is web
based and avoids a lot of PCI compliance responsibility from you on to the
vendor as well.  You could also charge a fee for credit card use or glass
half full and offer a cash discount.  I have used it successfully and they
have a lot of nice features including a web presence.  Just remember to
watch state to state laws as that is what sent Tommy Chong to prison not
drugs; but smoking paraphernalia.

Hope that helps good luck.