[olug] Cert Tapioca transparent network proxy finds 23, 667 Android apps that fail to validate SSL

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 13:13:55 CST 2015

Aric, you really dredged up something ugly on the internet.     i certainly
could not trust any of those sites with a password nor want to download
anything from them.   _Assuming_ cdngc.net is a true Content Distribution
Network, it looks like a horrible way to host SSL.    They needed different
IP addresses or at least support _secure_ renegotiation but since ricoh.com
does not do secure renegotiation, none of those sites do.

NetCraft says "PWS/8.1.20.9" hosts the site.  Could it really be  a very
old Windows Personal Web Server?
http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.ricoh.com

Secure Renegotiation is definitely not supported..
https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=www.ricoh.com&s=174.35.6.8

My 6yr old had a phone for 10 minutes Friday and installed Candy Crush
Saga.