[olug] VPS options?

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Wed Jul 15 22:14:29 CDT 2015

I though I'd follow up on the virtual private servers (VPS) options people
had mentioned and collect the responses into one list.  These are in no
particular order, I haven't started working with any of them, and the
anonymous comments below are what I was told by the person mentioning them.

First off I want to thank Damian Harouff for pointing me to LowEndBox.com -
http://lowendbox.com.  They are a site that lists VPS providers and a
related discussion site, LowEndTalk.com - http://lowendtalk.com

 * A Small Orange - asmallorange.com
  - A good friend of mine has their $5/month server and has had good luck
with them.  He is fairly self-suficient and only hosts the most basic of
sites, but he is pleased with them.  They seem to have the cheapest option,
a $35/year plan.

 * One and One - 1and1.com

 * DreamHost - dreamhost.com

 * OVH - ovh.com
  - They also have a very inexpensive option ($3/month) that they will
scale up when you're ready.
  - Another (on this list) wrote "I would avoid OVH. Their prices are
appealing but their support leaves something to be desired, taking days to
respond."

 * Prgmr.com - prgmr.com
  - Good variety of Linux and BSD hosting options.
  - "I've been happy with prgmr.com for the past 3 or 4 years that I've been
with them."

 * Atlantic - atlantic.net
  - "I host most of my domains on a $1/month server.  But that doesn't look
like an option on their list anymore.  I also have a $5/month "extra small"
server I use for stuff I'm playing with at the moment"

 * Linode - linode.com
  - A co-worker has been a user of Linode for many years and speaks highly
of their constantly improving system specs while not raising his monthly
bill.

 * Openvirtuals - openvirtuals.com
  - "I was using openvirtuals but have switched to Linode about 8 months
ago.  Openvirtuals has a better pricing option for what you get than Linode
but found the actual bandwidth speeds to get to the box to be very slow,
not good for hosting sites :)"

 * DigitalOcean - digitalocean.com
  - "I've been pretty happy with $10/month DigitalOcean box. 1GB memory, 1
core, 30GB storage seems to be enough to host my sendmail server."

Hope this helps others who head down this road.

Dan

--