[olug] [OT/Political] Letter to representative regarding ISPs and "Common Carrier" status.

Tim Larson larson at towncommons.com
Fri Jan 23 12:42:05 CST 2015

On 1/23/2015 12:20 PM, Lou Duchez wrote:
> So long as we agree that, in some disputes, business and the common
> good are at odds, I think we're on the same page.  (This would be an
> example.)
>
> And yeah, I have little use for people who see business as "the
> enemy". If business is inherently evil then abstain from all its
> poisonous fruits, including the computer or smart phone over which
> you're expressing your opinions.

This illustrates my point. "Business" is not inherently evil. Nor is
"labor", or "politics", or "religion". There are evil people everywhere,
that will manipulate the apparatus at hand, because the structure of the
apparatus itself lends power, to further their own selfish ends.

So I do not like to say that "business" (or any of the other things) is
at odds with "the common good". (I'm not entirely convinced of that,
either. Likely very few things exist which are truly best for every
single person—maybe just life, liberty, and property—and when you start
talking about "greater good" you get into a numbers game where you're
willing to sacrifice a minority, which is dangerous.) It can be a useful
shorthand when speaking with someone that has the same understanding as
yourself, but potentially confusing. But in the sense that some powerful
business leaders exploit their position at the expense of customers,
sure, I agree. Whew! Long-winded explanation over!

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." -
James Madison

This sums up my own view on the subject of Net Neutrality as well.
People in business may abuse the infrastructure to make a buck, but give
politicians the authority to oversee it and they'll abuse it to further
their agenda. So, which devil do you choose?

Tim
--
🖖,
🙇✝