[olug] Watching installs to reproduce/replicate later.

Tony Gies tony.gies at gruppe86.net
Thu Feb 12 17:53:05 CST 2015

checkinstall does something like you're describing. It can watch an
install.sh or make install or what have you, and hook its attempts to write
the filesystem so that nothing actually gets installed, then produce a deb
or rpm package that you can use to install the software in a manageable way
or in other environments. Because I prefer to install things through the
package manager if I can at all help it, instead of letting some
unaccountable shell script or makefile just chuck stuff wherever it wants,
I use this all the time when dealing with software for which a package is
not available and I don't want to bother packaging it properly myself.

https://wiki.debian.org/CheckInstall

Tony Gies <tony.gies at gruppe86.net>
Technical Projects Director
gruppe86 | IT Consulting, Software Development, Systems Integration