[olug] To RAID or not to RAID

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 22:06:10 CDT 2014

Totally from memory so i must be forgetting something but to force a full
rw fs check to bring up errors ahead of time and warranty replace in the
first 90 days before 2 drives die at once (google HDD study and personal
ezperience):

mdadm:
e2fsck -c -c -D -C 0 /dev/md1

That may be a -d? and i find my fs faster after using it.  It orders it
alphabetically.  I thought there was another flag I use. -C 0 means to
write logging to stdout.

For LVM, I have used entries under /dev/mapper/ and /dev/disk/ in the the
past , but not entirely sure what is the proper way.

tune2fs -l /dev/md0
man tune2fs and set both a
time interval ( -i ) of a week max
and ( -c or -C ?see your manage. There is an upper and lowercase switch and
they are different.) for a number of mounts interval before the fs checks
itself upon boot up.

P.S. An old HDD has been coughing errors for so long, rsync is blazing
along at about 28.8 baud rt now.  FUN:) hardware raid would be worth it.