[olug] To RAID or not to RAID

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Mon Sep 22 17:05:21 CDT 2014

On 09/22/2014 04:17 PM, Christopher R. White wrote:
> Now to replace the old tape drive with one of these and setup a backup job
> to run nightly -
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817998020&Tpk=N82E16817998020
> and maybe also a pair of 2 TB HDDs to go with it  ^_-

Is that hot-swap bay invisible to the OS, or does it impose another
layer of software between the OS and your hard drive?

The drawback of the latter type of hot-plug bays (and tape drives, too)
is that you're out of luck if your house burns down or the computer get
stolen.  Sure, you've still got your data, but you can't access any of
it until you get another tape drive of hot-swap bay.  If your backups
are to a USB enclosure, you can plug that into any computer you get your
hands on in the event of an emergency.

--
*Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth* obiwan at jedi.com <mailto:obiwan at jedi.com>
www.Jedi.com <http://www.jedi.com>