[olug] Linux CNC 2.6.4

unfy olug at unfy.org
Sat Nov 22 01:00:52 CST 2014

Am gonna be building a CNC of sorts soon.

Next week the rest of the electronics should come in (generally) and can
start fiddling with the software & electronics.

Went the dumb-lpt port based route and linuxcnc.  Wanted linuxcnc
because, well, this seems like the ideal application of linux (embedded
stuff, servers, etc).

I'll prolly be getting an HP DC7600 (or something that's got a model
similar to that) to run the thing.  It's a p4 and stuff, but a coworker
has plenty and it seems appropriate to re-purpose one instead of
dumpster/recycling.

Anyone have any hints or suggestions from anyone that has any linuxcnc
experience ?

I don't expect problems, but ya never know.

---------

For the OT bits - planning on either a 12x12 bed or a 12x12 cutting
area.  I dunno.  An example:

http://cdn.instructables.com/F0P/DZA6/GP7IFA3Y/F0PDZA6GP7IFA3Y.LARGE.jpg

There's plenty of designs that follow this style of moving the entire
gantry along the X axis (or Y, whatever).

Although a moving bed design is prolly better for such a small machine,
I'm building a small version of the design to see how it all works when
it comes time to scale it to 4'x4' or 8'x4' etc. I've only got 76oz-in
nema17's at the moment so there's some concern if they'll be strong
enough for even the small design.  We'll see :D.

I'll continue to use the small scale machine down the road - want
something in my apartment to auto drill holes in PCB's or cut out
smaller parts etc.  Will be building a sound proof box around it and
dust collection system etc.