[olug] Network performance analysis

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 14:22:13 CST 2014

Bill,

i feel your pain.

Keep in mind "slowness" can be caused at many layers of the network.

-physical tests to verify Cat6 compliance from (PC) patch cable to wall
plate thru cable run back to patch panel thru another patch cable ( network
switch).  This could be an electrician with a ~$2500.00? Cat6 tester.  $per
wall plate

-firmware on NIC / motherboard

-device driver version

-10Mbps half-duplex vs 1000Mbps FullDuplex

-switch

-vPro / IPMI

-IPv6 vs IPv4 issues

-DNS slowness or timing out